23rd January 2017
Patchwork cutters are an easy to use tool to help you decorate cakes with amazing designs. If you have received your January Cake Bag, you’ll find this lovely unicorn cutter inside which you can used to emboss your cakes or use with modelling paste to cut the shape out.
In this step by step tutorial; I’m going to show you how to use this cutter to create a beautiful unicorn which you can lay flat on top of your cake or stand up and create more of a magical scene on top of your cake creations. The only limit is your imagination!
To create this cake topper, you will need:
*sugar modelling paste (I used Renshaw)
*Rolkem super silver metallic edible lustre dusting powder (included in your cake bag)
*Rainbow Dust in Starlight Purple (this was included in the Boo! Edition cake bag)
*Clear alcohol to mix with the lustre dusts to create a paint (I use vodka. Alcohol works well as it evaporates when drying)
*Non-stick cooking spray (I use PME) or Trex
*Edible glue (I used Squires Kitchen)
1) Spray or grease your work surface with the non-stick spray or Trex and roll out the sugar modelling paste nice and thin (you want to aim for less than 1mm thin)
2) Press the unicorn patchwork cutter into the sugar modelling paste concentrating on putting more pressure around the outer edge of the design
3) Lift away the cutter and use the X-Acto knife to cut a clean line around the edge of the unicorn
4) Peel away the excess modelling paste from around the edge and set aside
5) Roll out another piece of modelling paste and cut out a second pair of the unicorns legs
6) Paint the edible glue onto the unicorn legs and attach to the unicorn. This gives a more 3D effect to the unicorn
7) Dip your paintbrush in the alcohol and dip in the Rolkem silver lustre dust and paint the unicorn horn and hooves
8) Clean off your paintbrush and dip in the alcohol again and use the starlight purple lustre dust to paint the mane and tail. Then add lines of the silver dust paint to create depth to the hair.
Once dried you can attach to your cake using edible glue.
You can create all sorts of designs including making several to create a carousel cake by adding them to the sides of your cake creations or cut out another layer and add cocktail sticks between the layers so you can create a unicorn standing upright as a cake topper!
Whatever you create, please share them with us by posting your pictures on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram and use the hashtag #cakebagcreations
Thirzah – Cakey Goodness xoxo